Tuesday, October 12, 2010

You Got to Love Him



     Darrel’s second Cub Scout meeting went off course last night. We arrived on time and the books for the Tiger cubs weren’t available and I still have no idea what we are doing. I have my reasons for sticking it out. I realize we are off to a slow start, but I didn’t have this chance when I was a little boy.
  I wanted to be a Boy Scout, but my parents as I mention before were frugal and may have had the money for the dues and the uniform to boot, but it wasn’t spent on me. Don’t get me wrong, I am not that guy that will stand at the edge of the football yelling at his son to do better just because couldn’t. If Darrel shows signs that he isn’t happy being a scout, I will get him out of there; I just want him to have the chances that I didn’t.
  He did look sharp dressed in his new uniform. He wanted to play but settled for making goofy eyes to the kid across the table.
  We watched as the color guard came from the back of the room and set the flags in their rightful place. I could hear my son saying the pledge of elegancy and then whisper the scout promise. I was proud of him until the climbing started.
  I said to myself, "There’s my boy."
  He gets distracted easy when he is bored. I whispered to him, “This was going to be good once they get started.”
  Not missing a beat he answered loudly, "Can we go and comeback when they start." You got to love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment